The department of Radiology is technologically advanced with state-of-the-art and latest Medical Imaging Equipments.
Facilities Available in the Radiology Department:
- Digital X-Ray
- 3D/4D Sonography
- Color Doppler
- Sono- Mammography
SRL - Dr. Avinash Phadke's Pathology Laboratory has been doing pathology investigations, biochemistry tests, Histopathology Examinations, Specialized Immunoassay tests like Thyroid Tests, Reproductive Hormone assays, Tumour Markers, Drug Assays, Hepatitis Markers, infertility tests and Immunofluorescence tests.
For Pathology Home Collection anywhere in Mumbai, Please Call on 022 2648 2424 / 2605 8986
Sonography / Ultrasound imaging is a non-invasive medical test that helps diagnose and treat medical conditions. These images are captured in real time, they can show the structure and movement of the body's internal organs, as well as blood flowing through blood vessels.
At SMC Medical Centre, we provide expectant families a unique and priceless opportunity of seeing their unborn baby in remarkable detail. 3D scans are still pictures of your baby in three dimension. 4D scans are moving 3D images of your baby, with time being the fourth dimension.
Like regular ultrasounds, 3D and 4D ultrasounds use sound waves to create an image of your baby in your womb. What's different is that 3D ultrasounds creates a 3D image of your baby, while 4D ultrasounds creates a live video effect where you can watch your baby smile, yawn and perform other movements.
3D and 4D scans may show more detail about a known abnormality. These scans can show more detail from different angles i.e.: diagnosing cleft lip for example. This can help doctors to plan the repair after birth.
A Doppler ultrasound test uses reflected sound waves to see how blood flows through a blood vessel. It helps doctors evaluate blood flow through major arteries and veins.
Reasons why Color Doppler is performed?
- To find blood clots and blocked or narrowed blood vessels in almost any part of the body, especially in the neck, arms, and legs
- To evaluate leg pain that may be caused by atherosclerosis of the lower extremities
- To evaluate blood flow after a stroke or other condition that might be caused by a problem with blood flow
- To evaluate varicose veins
- To find out the amount of blood flow to a transplanted kidney or liver
- To monitor the flow of blood following blood vessel surgery
- To check the health of a foetus. Blood flow in the umbilical cord, through the placenta, or in the heart and brain of the foetus
- The mother has other problems, such sickle cell disease
- Tumours and congenital vascular malformations
Preparation for an Ultrasound
- Most ultrasound exams require no preparation
- Please inform the doctor in case your are on any type of medication
- Examinations require you to have light food (fat-free meals), fruits and fruit juices
- Pelvic ultrasound — require that your bladder to be full, allowing better visualization of the uterus, ovaries or prostate
A mammogram is an X-ray image of the breast that is used for screening of breast cancer. Mammograms play an important role in early detection of breast cancer and can help decrease breast cancer deaths if caught early and on time. Women should get a mammogram done every two years once they have crossed the age of 40.
How to prepare for your mammogram
- Schedule the test for a time when your breasts are least likely to be tender. If you haven't gone through menopause, it is usually during the week after your menstrual period
- Bring your prior mammogram images so that the radiologist can compare them with your new images
- Avoid using deodorant before your mammogram. Metallic particles in deodorants could be visible on your mammogram and cause confusion
An Orthopantomogram (OPG) is a panoramic or wide view X-ray of the lower face, which displays all the teeth of the upper and lower jaw on a single film. It demonstrates the number, position and growth of all the teeth including those that have not yet surfaced or erupted. An OPG may also reveal problems with the jawbone and the joint which connects the jawbone to the head. An OPG may be requested for the planning of orthodontic treatment, for assessment of wisdom teeth or for a general overview of the teeth and the bone which supports the teeth.
You may be asked to remove jewellery, eyeglasses, and any metal objects that may obscure the images. You will be asked to stand with your face resting on a small shelf and to bite gently on a sterile mouth piece to steady your head. It is important to stay very still while the X-ray is taken. You will not feel any discomfort during the procedure.
Reasons for OPG
- Impacted wisdom teeth diagnosis and treatment planning - the most common use is to determine the status of wisdom teeth and trauma to the jaws
- Periodontal bone loss and periapical involvement
- Finding the source of dental pain
- Assessment for the placement of dental implants
- Orthodontic assessment both pre and post-operative
- Diagnosis of developmental anomalies
- Diagnosis, and pre and post-surgical assessment of oral and maxillofacial trauma
- Salivary stones
An electrocardiogram (ECG) is a test that records the electrical activity of the heart.
An ECG is used to measure
- Any damage to the heart
- How fast your heart is beating and whether it is beating normally
- The effects of drugs or devices used to control the heart
- The size and position of your heart chamber
How to Prepare for the Test
- Make sure your doctor knows about all the medication you are taking. Some drugs can interfere with test results
- Do not exercise or drink cold water immediately before an ECG because these actions may cause false results
A stress test, sometimes called a treadmill test or exercise test, helps your doctor find out how well your heart handles its workload. As your body works harder during the test, it requires more fuel and your heart has to pump more blood. The test can show if there’s a lack of blood supply through the arteries that go to the heart.
Taking a stress test also helps your doctor know the kind and level of physical activity that’s right for you.
How do I prepare for a stress test?
• Tell your doctor about any medicines you take. Don’t stop taking them unless the doctor says to
• You may be asked not to eat, drink or smoke for two to four hours before the test. You may drink water
• Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and walking shoes with rubber soles. Shorts or sweatpants and jogging or tennis shoes are good choices
What is monitored during the test?
• Your heart rate
• Your breathing
• Your blood pressure
• Your electrocardiogram (ECG)
• How tired you feel
Reasons why an Exercise Stress Test may be performed
- You are having chest pain (to check for coronary artery disease, narrowing of the arteries that feed the heart muscle)
- Your angina is becoming more severe or is happening more often
- You have had a heart attack
- You have had angioplasty or heart bypass surgery
- You are going to start an exercise program and you have heart disease or certain risk factors, such as diabetes
- To identify heart rhythm changes that may occur during exercise
- To further test for a heart valve problem (such as aortic valve or mitral valve stenosis)
2-D Echo is an ultrasound test which is used to picture out the heart. It is capable of displaying a cross sectional slice of the beating heart, including the chambers, valves and the major blood vessels that exit from the left and right part of the heart.
This technique is used to view the actual motion of the heart structures. A 2-D Echo view appears cone-shaped on the monitor, and the real-time motion of the heart's structures can be observed. This enables the doctor to see the various heart structures at work and evaluate them.
What is monitored during the test?
- Size of the heart chambers, dimension, volume and the thickness of the walls of the heart.
- Pumping function of the heath: to make out if the pumping power of the heart is normal or if It is reduced to a mild or severe degree
- Valve function in the heart to identify the structure, thickness and movement of each heart valve.
- Volume status: Low blood pressure can occur in poor heart function but may also be seen in reduced volume of circulating blood
- Fluid in the pericardium sac that surrounds the heart, congenital heart disease, blood clots or tumours within the heart, active infection of the heart valves, abnormal elevation of pressure within the lungs
Infertility affects upto 15% of couples, who are unable to have children. Various techniques of Assisted Reproduction have now made it possible to treat almost all forms of infertility, and help such couples to achieve pregnancy. These techniques are now responsible for the birth of around 2million children worldwide.
IVF facility at SMC offers the latest services, with Success rates equivalent to the west, at very affordable costs, but without compromising on quality. This has been possible by making use of the latest equipment, best quality disposable and imported culture media, high-class competent service and very economical professional fees. This objective has enabled our unit to be at the forefront in offering fertility services in India.
Our goal is to offer the most advanced and globally competitive ART programs and services. Our centre is equipped with the state-of-the-art ‘Embryology Laboratory’ and staffed with the team of highly trained professionals.
- IUI (Intrauterine Insemination): First line of treatment of infertile couples. The semen is processed in CO2 incubator with special culture media and then the best quality sperms are placed in the uterine cavity around the time of ovulation.
- IVF (In Vitro Fertilization): It is also useful for unexplained infertility, endometriosis, failed IUI, etc. The eggs are removed vaginally using a needle attached to ultrasound probe & mixed with husband’s sperms & kept in the incubator for two days. The fertilized egg (embryo) is then replaced into the uterus (womb).
- ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection): It is a specialized technique in which the eggs are removed and each egg is injected with a single motile sperm. By this technique men with count as low as 0.5 million or men with no sperm (Azoospermia) have started becoming fathers (using TESA/PESA procedures).
- Embryo Freezing: The extra embryos formed during an IVF or ICSI cycle are frozen with the help of techniques like slow freezing and vitrification & stored in liquid nitrogen at – 196 C. These can be used by the patient for subsequent cycles.
- Semen Banking: Semen banks are used for donor samples & patients undergoing chemotherapy/ radiation. We have quality donors who are thoroughly screened at three monthly intervals for HIV & all other diseases. Semen freezing & storage for husbands undergoing vasectomy, cancer therapy, or those working outside India for long periods, is also carried out.
- Egg and Embryo Donation: Egg donation is usually carried out for women more than 40 years of age or menopausal women to achieve pregnancy. Usually the waiting period for eggs & embryos runs into weeks & months abroad. Therefore we have some patients flying down from all over the world to perform the procedure at our unit.
- Assisted Laser Hatching: Technology useful in achieving pregnancy in older patients and couples with previous failure of IVF/ICSI cycles. With the help of laser energy the covering of the embryo is cut (laser hatching) or just thinned (laser thinning) prior to embryo transfer.
- Blastocyst Culture: The embryos are grown in the incubator for five days till they reach the blastocyst stage. These embryos are transferred back into the womb. This helps in improving pregnancy rates.
- Surrogacy: Surrogacy is for those who cannot carry their pregnancy. The embryos are transferred in the womb of another woman who carries the pregnancy for 9 months. We have successfully delivered many surrogates. In one of the couples, the eggs were borrowed from an anonymous egg donor, fertilized with the husband’s sperm & the resultant embryos were replaced into a surrogate womb. The delivered child is the adopted by the couple.
- Oocyte Bank: Eggs can be frozen & stored for many years. Useful for young unmarried women who want to postpone childbearing & also for young cancer patients before chemotherapy, radiotherapy or surgery.
- Ovarian Tissue Bank: For young women undergoing chemo/radiation therapy for cancer.
- IMSI: Intra Cytoplasmic Morphologically selected Sperm Injection helps magnify the image of the sperm 7200 times thereby allowing the doctors to pick the best looking healthier sperms. The machine is an advanced version of the earlier technique of the Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) having the magnification capacity of 16 times higher than ICSI.
- IVF Metabolomics (Viametrics): Has been introduced for the first time in Asia at Lilavati IVF Centre in Mumbai. This helps assess embryos with respect to their viability and implantation potential. With the help of Viametrics doctors can now shift from multiple embryo transfer to single embryo transfer, thereby reducing the possibility of multiple births and its related complications. This method will also be useful for patients with repeated IVF/ICSI failures.
- IVM (In-vitro Maturation): Is a new technique in which oocytes/eggs are retrieved from a patient when they are still at a developing state. One of the most demanding aspects of an IVF cycle is the fact that the patient has to take numerous painful and costly injections. This can be avoided with IVM, thereby minimizing the cost and the inconvenience caused to the patient. It also almost eliminates the chances of developing serious complications such as ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) giving the dual advantage of minimizing complications and cost at the same time. This is especially true and relevant in patients suffering from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS, which is found in almost 10-20% in the population.
- Counselling: Patient education & counselling sessions offered by well qualified & trained personnel.
Spirometry (Pulmonary Function Test/ Lung Function Test) measures airflow. By measuring how much air you exhale and how quickly you inhale and exhale. Spirometry can evaluate a broad range of lung diseases.
In a spirometry test, while you are sitting, you breathe into a mouthpiece that is connected to an instrument called a spirometer. The spirometer records the amount and the rate of air that you breathe in and out over a period of time. When standing, some numbers might be slightly different. The most important issue is to perform the test always while at the same position.
How the Test is Performed?
For some of the test measurements, you can breathe normally and quietly. Other tests require forced inhalation or exhalation after a deep breath. Sometimes you will be asked to inhale the substance or a medicine to see how it changes your test results.
How to Prepare for the Test?
Do not eat a heavy meal before the test. Do not smoke for 4 to 6 hours before the test. You will get specific instructions if you need to stop using bronchodilators or inhaler medications. You may have to breathe in medication before or during the test.
Why the Test is performed?
Pulmonary function tests are done to:
- Diagnose certain types of lung disease (such as asthma, bronchitis, and emphysema)
- Find the cause of shortness of breath
- Measure whether exposure to chemicals at work affects lung function
- Check lung function before someone undergoes surgery
It also can be done to:
- Assess the effect of medication
- Measure progress in disease treatment
Consultant Chest Physician available at SMC: Dr Mugdha Bhide
1. Consultation for patients of asthma, COPD, T.B ( including drug resistant TB), environmental and occupational lung diseases.
2. Bronchoscopies with bronchoalveolar lavage and bronchoscopic biopsies.
3. Consultation for patients admitted in intensive care.
It is important for adults to have eye exams on a regular basis to check for problems. Regular eye exams are critical for detecting:-
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Diabetic retinopathy
Everyone needs regular eye exams. This is particularly important if you have a family history of eye problems. Children need their vision checked at 6 months, 3 years, and before joining school. Adults should see an eye doctor at least every two years and annually after age 60.
At SMC Medical Centre, we have a group of senior ophthalmologists who cater to a wide range of eye check-ups, using the latest technology and machinery.
ZEISS Slit Lamp
This test is used to examine the:-
The clinic is equipped with contemporary dental chairs anddigital radiology to provide our patients with optimal hygiene and great comfort. We use only products and equipments that have been scientifically and indisputably proven in order to enhance our chances of success and therefore offer our patients absolute peace of mind.
Our multidisciplinary approach means that your oral health and smile will receive paramount attention from our team of highly dedicated and specialized experts in the fields of cosmetic dentistry, implantology, endodontics, periodontology, orthodontics, pediatrics and general dentistry.
We offer patients a full range of dentistry services and treatments to enrich smiles, one patient at a time.
It affects the entire organism simultaneously producing positive changes psychologically, emotionally and physically. It is holistic medicine in that the whole human being is considered in any treatment plan. Homeopaths need to gain an understanding of the individual on all levels of their being in order to effectively assist them to return to wholeness or health. Holistic medicine also implies an understanding of the whole human being in the context of their environment. Holistic medicine respects the integrity of the human organism and works with the body's natural healing tendencies to correct imbalances rapidly, gently and permanently.
Some benefits of holistic homeopathy include:
- Safe, Gentle
- Can be used in conjunction with regular medicine
At SMC Medical centre our aim is to help restore movement and normal body function in cases of illness, injury and disability.
Our Physiotherapists take a holistic approach, looking at the body as a whole rather than focusing on the individual factors of an injury or illness. The person being treated is directly involved in their own care.
Machine for treatments available at SMC:
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation: TENS is a method of electrical stimulation which primarily aims to provide a degree of symptomatic pain relief by exciting sensory nerves and thereby stimulating either the pain gate mechanism and/or the opioid system.
TENS is widely used around the world for a variety of painful conditions such as;
- Low back pain
- Labour pain
- Nerve related pain such as phantom pain
Short Wave diathermy current is a high frequency alternating current. The heat energy obtained from the wave is used for giving relief to the patient.
Where is it useful?
- Inflammation of shoulder joint
- Inflammation of Elbow Joint (Tennis Elbow)
- Degeneration of joints of neck (Cervical Spondylosis)
- Degeneration of joints like knee and hip (Osteoarthritis)
- Ligament Sprains in knee joint
- Low Back Ache
- Plantar fascitis (Heel Pain)
- Relaxation of the muscles
- Effective in bacterial infections
- Relief of pain
Inter Ferential Therapy (IFT): uses a Mid-frequency - current for treatment.
Where is it useful?
For individuals with
- Muscles spasm (pain and tightness)
- Muscles strain
Where it should not be used?
If the Treatment area has:
- Localised wounds
- Unhealed scar
- Recent cuts
- Skin infections
Digital Ultrasonic Machine
High-frequency sound waves can be used treat deep tissue injuries by stimulating blood circulation and cell activity. It is thought it can help reduce pain and muscle spasm, as well as speed up healing.
Where it is useful?
- Inflammation of Elbow Joint (Tennis elbow)
- Heel pain
- Shortening of Muscle or Ligament
- Inflammation of tendons
- Ligament sprain
- Unhealed scars
- Relief of pain
- Healing of Soft tissues (Ligament)
- Healing of unhealed scars
Computerized Traction Machine
The computerized traction machine is the key to the therapy’s effectiveness. The patterns for ramping up and down the amount of axial distraction eliminate muscle guarding and permit decompression to occur at the disc level. This creates a negative pressure within the disc, allowing the protruded or herniated portion to be pulled back within the normal confines of the disc, which permits healing to occur.
Restore, Rejuvenate and Revive your health naturally
Types of therapies available at SMC Medical:
- Magnet Therapy
- Colour Therapy
- Yogic Science
- Chinese Therapy
- Body Liner
- Ceragem Therapy
Find relief from the following aliments through Alternative Healing & Therapy
Sinus, Headache, Stress, Laziness, Backache, Thyroid, Arthritis, Vertigo, Slip disc, Sprains, Infertility, Stiff neck, Negative thinking, Poor memory, Sleeplessness, Obesity, Joint pains, For glowing skin, Detoxification, Acidity, Menstrual disorders and hormonal imbalance.
KKT (Khan Kinetic Treatment) technology is a highly sophisticated, non-invasive, evidence-based medical treatment designed to easily and painlessly realign the spine and regenerate cellular tissue. It utilizes your unique signature sound frequencies to address core spinal distortions and disturbances. KKT’s integrated diagnostic and treatment system along with its intensive orientation places it ahead of all other treatment options.
The KKT treatment can have a significant impact on your physical health by:
- Reducing or eliminating pain
- Promoting tissue regeneration to remedy narrowing and loss of normal disk height
- Arresting bone degeneration that lead to osteophytes or bone spurs
- Repairing and strengthening tendons and ligaments
- Enhancing coordination
- Increasing range of motion
- Improving posture
An x-ray is a non-invasive medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions. X-rays are the oldest and most frequently used form of medical imaging.
The Digital X-Ray facility at SMC provides immediate processing and the ability to digitally transfer and enhance images.
X-rays are a very cost effective means of diagnosis, particularly where diseases of chest, bones & joints are concerned.
At SMC Medical we have only well trained & qualified technicians to take the X-Rays & qualified radiologists analyze the reports.
During the examination, X-rays are directed specifically at the particular body region. Other body parts are not directly exposed to radiation. The X-rays penetrate the examined body and are attenuated differently by the various internal structures, such as organs and bones.